Across cities, mountains, deserts, forests and lakes on the railroad from Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan to Moscow many people who were once part of the Soviet Union find themselves in separate countries with different dreams, fears, anger and hopes. Over 20 years after the collapse of the USSR we listen to what these people have to say about immigration, neighbourhoods, the old days and their expectations for the future.
Like the dial of a radio we scan the frequencies across these lands as the common people of Russia and Central Asia get their voices heard.
Running time: 10″00′
Tomas Sheridan Tomás was born in Turin, Italy in 1982. Son of an Irish writer and a British/American actress Tomás has always had a passion for storytelling in all its forms. Having achieved top marks at Graphics and Advertising School in Italy, Tomás Sheridan went on to study Photography and Film at Edinburgh Napier University where he started exploring storytelling with still images. Tomás works as a director, producer, cameraman and editor but his passion lies in finding stories of people, the way they fit into the bigger picture and the use of storytelling to raise awareness on contemporary social issues allowing under-represented groups to voice their ideas.
Joona Pettersson (b. 1983 Helsinki, Finland) is a cinematographer who also makes projects in photography and projection design. His movies has been seen in major international film festivals like Clermont-Ferrand Film Fest, Sheffield Doc/Fest and Edinburgh Film Fest. Pettersson studied cinematography at the All-Russian State Institute of Cinematography (VGIK) in Moscow and video art at the École Nationale Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs (ENSAD) in Paris. He has visited over 60 countries.
- 2011 Clermont-Ferrand International Film Festival – Official selection
- 2011 Uppsala International film festival – Official selection
- 2011 Go Short International Film Festival – Official selection
- 2011 Sheffield Documentary film festival – Official selection
- 2011 Art Deco Film Festival (Sao Paulo – Brazil) – Official selection
- 2011 San Gio Verona Video Festival (Italia) – Official selection
- 2011 Cinema City Film Festival (Serbia) – Official selection
- 2011 Lublijana International Film Festival
- 2011 Bristol’s Encounters Film Festival
- 2011 Thai International Short Film – Official selection
- 2011 Kansk Video Festival – Official selection
- 2011 Part of FUTURE SHORTS August selection.
- 2011 Docpoint – Official selection
- 2011 Edindocs – Official selection
- 2011 Concorto Film festival – Official selection
- 2011 13th Mecal International Short Film Festival
- 2012 13th Annual Dawson City International Short Film Festival
- 2012 SILVER MIKELDI winner at Bilbao’s 53rd ZiNEBI International Film Festival
- 2012 Bristol Short Film Festival
- 2012 Syracuse Film Festival Judges’ citation
- 2012 Broadcast CANAL+ France and Africa
Directed and edited by Tomas Sheridan
Image by Joona Pettersson
Sound and Mix by Elena Petrosyan
Visual effects: Dimitris Tolios / Tomas Sheridan
Produced by Tanya Petrik and Guillaume Protsenko
Production assistant: Ekaterina Vikhodtseva
First assistant director: Timur Yuldashev
MIRUMIR studio & MVMT Films
With the support of the Union of Filmakers of the Russian Federation.